Hello All!

Say hello to the group here and let us know whereabouts you are.
Johnny Alpha
oil filter
oil filter
Fuel: Diesel
Drivetrain: 2WD
Seats: 7 Seats
Roof: Glass Top

Hello All!

Post by Johnny Alpha »

I've just got myself a Largo!

As a former Delica owner who no longer needs Off Road, I'm very impressed. Having driven an interim Volvo for the past 12 months, it's nice to be back in a Japanese Import - approximately my 10th Jap import so far.

There's just one thing. A maneuver that involves putting the brakes on *and* a lot of lock causes a stall - engine cuts out.

Absolutely everything else seems just fine - road performance is what I would expect, no smoke or odd noises from the motor, I'm generally well pleased.
carole
gearstick
gearstick
Roof: Tin Top
Trim: highwaystar
Mods: body kit ,tinted windows,external sun visor

Re: Hello All!

Post by carole »

hi Johnny, welcome to the club ,where are you based ?
Johnny Alpha
oil filter
oil filter

Post by Johnny Alpha »

Hi Carole,

I'm in Mid Wales.
scoobydo
NITROUS
NITROUS
Seats: 8 Seats
Trim: Highway Star

Post by scoobydo »

How about reverse and a lot of lock? Sounds like could be an issue with either an air leak (when you press the brakes that will put extra load on the alternator) or the diesel pump is not providing enough fuel when under load at low rpm. Some people have had a good success with putting a resistor on the pump fooling the pump to provide a bit more fuel by tricking the fuel temp sender into thinking the fuel is hotter than what it is. Was it a private sale or thru a dealer did either of them mention the fault. I would also disable the EGR, golf tee in the actuator, clean the air seperator in the manifold and change oil and oil filter.
Johnny Alpha
oil filter
oil filter

Post by Johnny Alpha »

Yes, reverse and a lot of lock - that's the thing.

Already done the EGR and the splitter - the splitter was a solid lump of carbon. Seems better, I can still just about get it to cut out reversing up slope with brakes on and full lock - a slight slope obviously or I'd need the gas pedal, in which case it doesn't.

Thanks for the tips Scoobydo - they're on the to-do list.
scoobydo
NITROUS
NITROUS

Post by scoobydo »

I would try the resistor mod
scoobydo
NITROUS
NITROUS

Post by scoobydo »

could try fuel filter as well
Johnny Alpha
oil filter
oil filter

Post by Johnny Alpha »

Resistor mod: You wouldn't have a pic of which wire it goes on at all? I've no manual or anything like that.

Fuel filter is on order. I had a Paj that conked out due to the fuel filter being absolutely clogged, so I thought to get straight onto that.

Just been around town in it, idle is much nicer for the cleaning and EGR. It only cut out reversing onto the drive at the end... again.
scoobydo
NITROUS
NITROUS

Post by scoobydo »

As the diesel pump would have got hot then the pump body expanded and quite likely producing a bit less pressure. Think of the pump as another engine which it almost is. If the pump body expands and the internal seal is not quite what it used to be then you may be getting blow by.

Resistor mod 470ohm
these 2 pins.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by scoobydo on 08 Sep 2018, 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
scoobydo
NITROUS
NITROUS

Post by scoobydo »

A better place would be at the ecu but you will need to buzz out the wires back to the ECU amphenol connector to ensure you have the correct ones
ecu fuel temp sensor location.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.